click pic for Facebook

Saturday 23 April 2011

MusicConnex

There are points in every artists journey when they´re faced with taking 'the next step'! I took my 1st steps with Jonathon Hockley, Kasha and Composure in early 09'...and the next steps revealed themselves pretty quickly after that! Branching out and meeting more producers and artists...setting up my blog and other social networks came next...then getting a band together in early 10' for my 1st gig...which inevitably led to more gigs! But with all this hard graft under my belt where exactly is the AA project heading?? I knew the 'next step' was imminent but I didn't have a clue what it was!?!

I've got Faron McKenzie and his partner Jon Mansfield to thank for my latest musical ephiphany! MUSIC CONNEX -their brainchild - does exactly what it says on the tin, and MorE lol! I was skeptical when Faron 1st mentioned this conference because I hadn't been to a seminar since uni days...and the business side of the music industry has always been a bit over complicated for my liking! I gave it a go however...and on the 1st day alone I was blown away by the energy and keen faces that filled Kings Place! This wasn't just a seminar...this was a celebration of success!

The three-day programme covered a range of subjects relevant to any budding artists! From brain rehearsing to hints on how to get signed. Youtube gave a tips on how to get your music out there digitally and Miss Bee from I Luve Live told us how to secure good gigs!! And innovative companies such as Music Dealers showed us exciting ways of monetizing our work! I was spoilt for choice with artist speakers like Labarinth, Random Impulse and Jazzy B in the house. As well as industry moguls like Charlie Sloth and Glyn Aikins from Virgin! The highlight for me though was an intimate discussion with the one and only Al Shux (producer/songwriter of Emipre State of Mind!) His room was SOOO packed that me and a couple of others set up camp outside his room til we were granted access!

In between seminars we all had the opportunity to network and connect in King's Place beautiful canal side setting! The bar was buslting...and so relaxed! Novice artists like myself could rub shoulders and pick the brains of veterans like Ian Titchner from The Music Consultancy (Think DJ Luck and MC Neat). We were also treated to showcases on x2 of the nights...including performances from visiting Canadian Blast rap troupes! (You'll hear a bit about producer S.O.U.L soon)! See pics here! At this point I got to make a big shout out to my boy Sketch Williams! He's a Canadian artist/producer I met at MusicConnex...big talent...and new found friend ;D!

So what was this career changing next step? Well as independent as I've been up until now I learned that the AA operation needed extra hands and minds to help crank this thing up a gear! Hello Lucid Tiger! I don't want to say too much about this management duo at the moment as it's still early days, but if all goes to plan you'll be hearing a lot about Anthony and Raphael over the coming months! :D

Music Connex connects you to like minded driven people in the music industry! I was working on a short film at the same time as the seminar, so I only attended 2 out of the 3 days...wish I could have had it all lol! I won't summarise my experience in words...I think this video (filmed on location in the Kings Way hall hehe) says it ALL:


Thank you Music Connex! (And Jonathon for filming this vid :D)
@sh.x

1 comment: